We have a new addition to our front door (and no, it’s not more starfish. But if you like the starfish, you can find them here)! This weekend I made a new house sign out of some slate we had on hand. Most people visit our house via the back door on the deck. (It’s probably the welcoming planters – see ’em here). Since our driveway is off of a side street I’m guessing people are confused once in a while. I know FedEx is confused – they leave packages at the front door which is never used. Last holiday season there was a package out there for a week until I started wondering where my order was and finally found it out in the rain. I had three pieces of slate for another indoor project that included keeping the cat out of the plants, but when I laid the pieces out on the lawn with the intent to smash them my heart couldn’t do it. Howard caught me staring at the pieces and commented, “What are you doing? Getting ready to spray paint some starfish?” And he almost read my mind..
After measuring the selected piece of slate, I went online to finding some stencil templates. I then pulled each of the letters and numbers into a Word document using the margins to help guide me with the dimensions I wanted.
I ran back inside and reprinted the image on half a folder which was a little sturdier. Had this project been thought out in advance I may tried to find something impermeable like a piece of mylar. I also would have purchased a hobby knife to make the cutting easier. The first spray paint trial on piece of scrap cardboard was a success.
I applied two thin layers of white spray paint to the slate and brought it inside to dry since the weather was extremely humid outside. After about a half hour of drying time I took off the tape to reveal the finished product. My impatience paid off because I think the paint would have glued the template to the slate if I hadn’t pried it off while it was still tacky.And here is the finished product.