A Pillow Post with a DIY Tutorial

After fretting over a gazillion fabric samples, some of which were seen here, I went with an entirely different pattern for the Cape pillows. I found this Braemore Silsilia Indian Sea fabric at the OnlineFabricStore here and fell in love!

It’s even prettier in person and had me doing a fabric dance all over the house. Which I acknowledge is really weird.

DSC_0550

Once I saw the fabric at the house I realized that the blues were even more compatible with the kitchen wall color.  So, instead of making the pillows I wrote about earlier I decided to keep the fabric to make valances in the kitchen. Thanks to the generous cut from the OnlineFabricStore, the slightly over sized two yards give me just enough coverage for the double kitchen window. Phew.

DSC_0549

After reserving enough fabric for the kitchen windows, I had enough fabric left to cover one, not four, of the couch pillows.

20140712_143640

So, I resorted back to an oldie but goodie print. Do you recognize it?  It is the Waverly fabric used on the guest room headboard here. I had bought more fabric to make matching curtains but decided it was an aqua overload.  Best to use it up this century.

20140712_110956

I also used up the rest of the fabric from our bathroom valance at home here. I was going to use this print for the pillows in the Captain Quarters but then used a different orange print here so I just made one for the couch.

How did I make the pillow covers?

Step 1:  I measured the pillows using a fabric measuring tape and then cut fabric squares that were about 2 inches bigger.

Step 2: I sewed three sides of the squares with the pretty side in and then a little more on the fourth side leaving enough to squeeze the pillow into the case.  Then I trimmed up any excess including clipping off the corners so it wouldn’t be too bulky.

20140712_112310

Step 3:  After turning the pillow cover right side out, I stuffed the pillow into its new case. The covers on the pillows do zip off but the inserts are just a mess of stuffing so I figured I would never get the shape right if I took them off.

20140712_122454

Step 4: Next I pinned the pillows closed.  I first pinned the edge close to the opening and then stuck my finger between the pins to push back the pillow and add a second row of pins to create an unstuffed edge so that the pillow could fit into the machine.

I though about sewing the pillows by hand but I had so many to make that I resorted to using the machine.  I noticed that our existing starfish pillows from Pottery Barn are sewn like this also.

20140712_122914

Step 5:  This is where I wish I had three hands.  Using the sewing machine I sewed as straight of a line as I could to close the opening at the edge of the fabric.  In some instances I did have to go back for a second pass. I found that I needed two hands on the pillow at all time and that any adjustments had to be made while the needle was in the fabric or the pillow would pop out.

20140712_123122

I am happy enough with the outcome.  The fun thing about covering the pillows I already had versus buying new covers was that it was so inexpensive that I won’t feel guilty if I want to swap out the covers in a few years.

20140712_143651

20140712_143736

This was also very good practice for the upcoming curtain project. It’s been awhile since I’ve busted out the sewing machine so it was good to get my confidence back and some practice in.

One thought on “A Pillow Post with a DIY Tutorial

  1. Pingback: Curtain Call |

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.